Learn how best to showcase your potential.
At Allen & Overy we pride ourselves on delivering an application process that is straightforward and transparent, allowing you to demonstrate your potential to become a good lawyer.
The online application form is your first opportunity to stand out, so make the most of it with thorough preparation. Make sure you use your strongest examples that demonstrate the skills we are looking for and, above all, good attention to detail. The same in-depth preparation should also go into your interview – we are looking for you to shine, and to showcase your talents so that we can see your success as a trainee.
Top tips for your application:
- Fill out form completely – make sure all of your academics are listed and your form is complete
- Make the most of any experience – from a part-time job to legal work experience, we are interested in all the transferable skills you have gained
- Personalise – we want to get a better sense of who you are after reading your form and why our firm is the right fit for you
- Be commercial – show an interest in the legal industry, the business world and how both affect us and our clients
- Proofread – attention to detail is a fundamental skill of a lawyer, so we recommend having a peer review your form before you submit it
If your application is successful – whether for an A&O Training Contract or a Vacation Scheme – the next stage will be an assessment day comprising of two one-on-one interviews. The first interview is based on a commercial case study, where you will have time to work through a brief and prepare a short presentation to deliver to your interviewer. The presentation will be followed by a discussion with your interviewer on the key points from the case study. The second interview is based on your application form and shall assess your skills and knowledge, your motivation for a legal career at Allen & Overy and your commercial awareness.
Top tips for your interview:
- Revise and prepare – be well-versed on our firm and think of examples that demonstrate the skills we are looking for
- Make the right impression – be confident, self-assured and enthusiastic
- Ask us insightful questions – it’s a two-way process, so ask us questions of genuine interest
After your interview, we will aim to get back to you with a decision as quickly as possible.
Having come this far, we understand you will be keen to hear back, and we also recognise you may have some decisions of your own to make.
Regardless of the outcome, we are committed to providing constructive feedback on your performance at interview. This will help you to understand our decision and allow you to refine your interview technique and preparation for any future applications.
And, of course, if it’s good news, the Graduate Recruitment Team will be on hand to support you in your decision-making process.